These are the most dangerous foods, according to nutritionist Keith Kantor.
- Cherry pits – Who knew these summer favorites are actually poisonous? Not us! Kantor says they contain hydrogen cyanide, which is a poison. Other stone fruits, like peaches, plums, and apricots do as well, but we don’t have to worry about them too much, he says we’d have to eat a ton of cherry pits before they’d kill you.
- Alfalfa sprouts – We think of this as a healthy garnish, but it’s actually a breeding ground for bacteria. Kantor points out that over the last 20 years, there have been 30 separate foodborne illness outbreaks linked to eating sprouts - including salmonella and E. coli.
- Hot dogs – According to John Hopkins Medicine, these the number one cause of choking-related injuries in kids under three, but hot dogs are also considered a Group 1 carcinogen by the World Health Organization. So burgers it is then!
- Shellfish – It’s all the shellfish allergies that make lobster, crab, oysters, and such some of the deadliest foods. Kantor warns that undercooked or raw shellfish is especially dangerous because they can absorb microbes and harmful bacteria from the sea.
- Puffer fish – This freshwater fish is banned in the U.S., but Fugu, or Puffer Fish is one of the most poisonous foods in the world. This delicacy has to be cooked exactly right, or it’s 1200 times more deadly than cyanide. So let’s play it safe and skip this one.
Source: My Domaine