If you’re thinking about having a throwback holiday this Thanksgiving, here are a few things you’re going to need:
- The aunt who brings Ambrosia with her “secret” ingredient - You may be crushed to learn that her fancy dessert was actually made with Cool Whip and canned fruit cocktail, but it wouldn’t stop you from loving it and eating it this year.
- The kids’ table - When we were kids, looking longingly at the adult’s table with the fancy china and stemware from our crowded card table full of cousins, we had no idea we’d once long for that spot, crammed in the corner near the Harvest Gold fridge.
- Charades or large-scale theatrical productions starring the kids - How many of you entertained holiday guests with silly skits or songs? We didn’t have YouTube back then, and we only had three channels on TV, so we had to do something to pass the time while the grown ups smoked cigarettes.
- Triscuits with cheese from a can - Remember how much fun it was to make flowers out of spray cheese on crackers? We thought we were so fancy serving them to our grandparents while they sipped pre-dinner cocktails.
- Betty Crocker cookbooks - When we see that old, familiar red and white checkerboard cover of the Betty Crocker cookbook, we get a little sentimental. That’s what our grandmas, aunts, and moms used to make everything we loved at the holidays.
- Chex party mix - This was what people made for company back in the day and we ate it until our bellies ached, all before dinner of course. Now we’re ready for a throwback Thanksgiving!
Source: Scary Mommy