Want to know what’s going to be the next big thing in food in the coming year? Pinterest has the answers. According to the site, 2018 is all about experimentation, alternatives, and spice. Here’s what they say the biggest food trends will be in the upcoming year.
- Air frying - Pinterest users are really into these machines that use hot air instead of oil to get food nice and crispy. Pins for air frying are up an unbelievable 1809%!
- Souping - Saves for quick, easy, healthy nutrient-rich soup have surged 306%.
- Super coffee - Saves for 'healthy coffee' recipes have shot up 218% and Pinterest hacks including adding things like protein powder and superfoods like maca to your cup of joe.
- Morocco - People are into the warm spices from the North African country and saves for recipes for Moroccan dishes have skyrocketed 2579%.
- Plant proteins - Pinners are saving more recipes for healthy veggie burgers and such, with saves for plant proteins up by 417%
- Snap peas - This could be the year for sugar snap peas, searches for recipes shot up 273%
- A new hot sauce - Put down that Sriracha and expand your palate with Korean condiments, like Gochujang, [[ go-chew-JANG]] the fermented chili paste that packs a fiery punch. Searches for it are up 22% and climbing.
- Ghee - According to Pinterest users, Ghee is the new coconut oil. The Indian clarified butter is lactose-free and paleo-friendly, so people can’t get enough of it.
- Dairy-free - Saves for recipes for Vegan desserts are up 329%, so expect to see more elaborate raw cakes and sweet treats made with coconut oil.
- Mocktails - Having a Dry January won’t be hard when you check out the non-alcoholic and virgin cocktail recipes on Pinterest. Searches for them are up 160%.