‘Tis the season for tempting treats and cocktails at festive holiday gatherings, which makes it hard to stick to a healthy eating plan. We’ve all indulged a little here and there this season, because who can resist Christmas cookies and Nana’s fudge. But if everything we ate came with the number of burpees it takes to burn it off, we might not reach for that third slice of pizza after all.
POPSUGAR did the math for us and figured out just how many burpees - the effective, but challenging exercise we love to hate - we’d have to do to eat some of our favorite foods and drinks. A minute of basic burpeesdone correctly burns an average of 10 calories, and most people do between 10 to 20 in a minute.
Here’s how long we’d have to do them to burn off these goodies:
- Slice of pepperoni pizza (298 calories): 30 minutes of burpees
- Cheeseburger (423 calories): 42 minutes and 20 seconds of burpees
- Medium McDonald's French fries (380 calories): 38 minutes of burpees
- Grilled cheese (580 calories): 58 minutes of burpees
- Homemade chocolate chip cookie (89 calories): Nine minutes of burpees
- Red velvet cupcake (496 calories): 50 minutes of burpees
- Half a cup of vanilla ice cream (230 calories): 23 minutes of burpees
- Half a bar of dark chocolate (300 calories): 30 minutes of burpees
- 5-ounce glass of red wine (115 calories): 11 minutes and 30 seconds of burpees
- 12-ounce bottle of beer (150 calories): 15 minutes of burpees
- 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola (143 calories): 14 minutes and 20 seconds of burpees