Cancer rates are still on the rise, there were more than 1.6-million new diagnoses in 2016. But you can help your odds with the deadly disease by eating the right foods. Here are a few cancer-fighting foods you should stock your kitchen with all the time.
- Chia seeds - They’re packed with protein and antioxidants that are all associated with prevention of lung and prostate cancer. Plus, chia seeds are full of fiber, which could lower the risk of colorectal cancer.
- Red grapes - You don’t need red wine to get resveratrol - one of the most studied cancer-fighting compounds - it’s in red grapes, too.
- Walnuts - These have nearly twice the antioxidants as other popular nuts, so they’re sometimes called the “super nut.” Polyphenols in walnuts may help prevent prostate cancer and they have a high amount of a fatty acid linked to reducing colon cancer.
- Artichokes - Polyphenols in these cause breast and colorectal cancer cells to die! These phytochemicals may help prevent cancer cell growth. Artichokes are also high in folate, a B vitamin associated with lower risk for lung cancer.
- Blueberries - Not only are they tasty, blueberries are also full of anthocyanins, which are strong antioxidants linked to hindering various types of cancer.
- Brussels sprouts - Forget what your eight-year-old self thought of these veggies and give them another chance. Brussels sprouts and other cruciferous vegetables contain molecules that stop tumor formation in the bladder, breast, colon, liver, and lung. Eating more cruciferous veggies has been linked to lower rates of prostate, lung, and breast cancers.
Source: Women's Health