Women in their fourth decade are in a good place, fashion-wise. They know their own personal style and are more comfortable in their own skin. But you can’t dress like you’re in your 20s when you’re fortysomething, so here are some fashion tips for the over-40 set.
- Show off your clavicle, not your cleavage - In your 20s, a plunging V-neck was perfect, but now it’s time for a super sophisticated, sexy look that shows off your clavicle instead.
- Go for mid-length sleeves - Show off your forearms at any age with cropped sleeves or by rolling up your long ones.
- Don’t give up on heels - Flats have their place, but there are all kinds of sensible heels that are as comfy as they are stylish.
- Opt for darker denim - Light-colored jeans can look dated, but a fitted dark-wash is slimming and flattering.
- Solids over prints - Not that you should toss every floral print in your wardrobe, but it’s easier to look elegant in a neutral solid with excellent accessories.
- Find a good tailor - You know what works for your shape, now find someone reliable to take in an inch or hem a pair of pants to make clothes fit even better.
- Stylishly camouflage the areas you don’t love - Not into your neck? No problem, just wear a turtleneck or a trendy scarf to cover up while still looking amazing.
- Put a modern spin on your old favorites - If you still want to rock your Dr. Martens, update the look you wore with flannel shirts in your 20s to wear the boots with on-trend raw-edge denim and a tailored blazer for an look that’s sophisticated and still cool.
- Invest in accessories - You deserve a bag that’ll last forever and never go out of style, just stick to neutral colors so your investment piece doesn’t look dated soon.