As much as we love being completely comfortable, there’s something about a great pair of heels that makes us willing to compromise comfy for good-looking footwear. But those four-inch pumps shouldn’t be worn with just anything, no matter how beautiful they are.
Here are some heel-outfit combinations to avoid so you’re not a fashion “Don’t”:
- Jean shorts with stilettos - We’re all for showing off your legs, but you can still do that with denim shorts and low-profile sneakers, flat sandals, or beachy wedges, and you’ll look classier than sky-high heels would.
- A mini skirt with platform pumps - Minis are usually snug, so when you add in six inches of shoe, you’re veering into tacky territory, so aim for lower heels with a super short skirt.
- Flared pants with peep toes - With wide leg openings, a delicate peep toe can look dated, you’re better off with strappy wedges or platform sandals with these pants.
- Leggings or sweatpants with any heels - If you’re doing athleisure, your bottoms say “gym” so your shoes shouldn’t say “club.”
- Summer-y sandals with a pencil skirt - The skirt is business professional so your shoes should match the vibe, not be off on at a barbecue somewhere.
- Anything you can’t walk in - Unless “newborn baby calf” is the look you’re going for.