Summer is a popular time to move, so next time your bestie or sister gets a new place, why not welcome the new chapter with some luck. Even if you’re not superstitious, there are certain symbols that have been considered lucky for centuries. Here are some objects that homeowners can use to bring good fortune and would make excellent housewarming gifts.
- Crickets - These insects are considered signs of luck in both Eastern and Western culture. In China, crickets have been symbols of luck for thousands of years and in Europe, Charles Dickens’ book “Cricket on a Hearth” helped make them popular. Give a small bronze cricket that can sit on a shelf as a fun lucky charm.
- Horseshoe - The Irish have been hanging horseshoes over doorways for centuries to ward off evil spirits, and brass ones make good paperweights, too.
- Pineapples - They’ve been a universal symbol of welcome for hundreds of years and for a housewarming gift can always go with a fresh one or something that’ll last longer, like a brass pineapple candle holder.
- Crystals - These are being used more in home decor to promote healing and health, so a gift of colorful stone mugs with rose quartz, citrine, or other crystals could bring in the positive energy, without feeling too new agey.
- Large plants - Green plants help absorb toxins and pollutants in our homes and purify the air, which helps with the room’s energy flow. Plus, a big plant really brightens up the space and is always a welcome housewarming gift.