Ever felt totally out of place at the gym? Most of us have at some point, when we started working out at a new gym, or took a new class, or were a total newbie to exercise. But you don’t have to feel awkward at the gym, you just need to focus on your health and fitness and forget about everyone else. This is how to feel more comfortable at the gym, according to personal trainers.
- Remember why you’re going to the gym in the first place - Focus on the reason you went to the gym when you start feeling awkward there. It could be to train for a marathon, or just to workout some pent-up energy after work, but remember that lots of people are there for the same goal and no one’s there to judge you, you’ll feel better.
- Take the gym tour - When you join a new gym, take that tour they offer you so you learn about the machines and how everything works before you start exercising there.
- Remember you can observe before trying anything - Not sure what hot Pilates is all about? Watch a class before you participate and you’ll know what you’re getting into and if it’s for you.
- Having a gym buddy makes it easier - Like a lot of things in life, going to the gym is better when you do it with a friend. Being there with a buddy takes your mind off how you look while exercising and lets you focus on what you’re doing. Plus, the laughing you do with a pal always helps.
- Start with something familiar - Spend your first 10 or 20 minutes at the gym doing something you’re familiar with, like running on the treadmill, then when you’re settled in, move on to try something new.
- Feel the fear and do it anyway - Most of us feel nervous starting a new exercise or joining a new gym, accept it and just work through it. And remember, you got this.
Source: Elite Daily