For lots of families out there, summer means taking a road trip together and if you’ve ever dared to take one, you know how hard it can be. Since minivans don’t come with those cool limousine partitions that we could slide up and turn the front grown-up area into a quiet zone while the kiddos duke it out in the back, we do our best to make it work. So try these tips for keeping the little ones happy and maintaining your sanity on your family road trip this summer.
- Give each kid a bag of quarters. When they whine or pick on a sibling, have them pay you a quarter. When they do something good, they can earn a quarter back and at the end of the trip they get to spend the money on anything they want.
- Leave early in the morning, like 3 or 4 a.m. so the kids fall back to sleep for hours and no one else is on the road. Just make sure you have lots of coffee.
- Have tablets, chargers, coloring books, and sticker books at the ready.
- Play audio books or podcasts everyone will enjoy. Here are some family-friendly podcasts you might like, but the hard part is getting everyone to agree.
- Bring cookie sheets with magnet builder sets. Fun for little hands for hours.
- Stock up on dollar section books and toys because you won’t care if they get destroyed or left behind along the way.
- Play “Lip-Sync Roulette.” Turn the radio all the way down and hit the tune button until you find the next station. Whoever’s turn it is has to lip-sync to whatever song is playing just like they were on stage performing. Everyone will be entertained for at least 20 minutes.
- Unlimited screen time. It’s summer, mama, and you’re on the road. It’s all about survival, so don’t feel guilty about all the screen time. And make sure each child has headphones that work.
Source: Scary Mommy