Whether you just started dating or you’ve been together for years, there are lots of surprising ways to feel closer as a couple. Some are positive, like traveling together, but some experiences you may think of as negative, like talking finances, can actually strengthen your relationship. Here are some experiences that can bring a couple together, according to relationship experts.
- Moving to a new city - Moving in together comes with a lot of relationship-building moments, but nothing bonds you like making a fresh start in a new city together. It’s very exciting, can be challenging, and leaning on each other makes it more intimate.
- Talking about finances - Money problems can create tension in a relationship, but talking about it gives couples a chance to get on the same page and work together on a common future goal. So it can strengthen their bond if they’re in it for the long haul.
- Traveling abroad together - The new experiences, dealing with the stress of travel, trying to communicate in a foreign language, and getting away from your usual routine can all bring couples closer together.
- Releasing some adrenaline - Even if you’re not a thrill-seeker, trying something adventurous like hiking, skydiving, or parasailing as a couple can create a shared rush and helping each other build up courage to get through it can create a stronger bond.
- Cooking a meal together - You don’t have to jump out of a plane together to feel closer as a couple. Something as simple as cooking with your sweetie can strengthen a relationship.
- Have a tech-free day - It’s easy to start texting or scrolling through social media on your phone and not pay attention to your partner, so try turning your phones off and just enjoying the time together. Being fully present in the moment can make your bond stronger.