It’s New York Fashion Week and while designers show off their new collections for fall/winter 2019, everyone’s checking out the runways for the newest beauty trends too. Here are some of the hair and makeup looks models were wearing at the fashion shows this season.
- Black eyeliner is still the ultimate cool - A jet black kohl pencil is classic, but this season is all about the technique. At Brock Collection, sharp lines along lower and upper lash lines were accented with smudges of charcoal and thick negative-space cat-eyes were dramatically geometric at Marina Moscone.
- Statement making braids - Rapper JZL the Empress hit the runway in twin rainbow colored pigtail plaits at Nicole Miller’s show and models at Chromat wore braided styles with plastic water bottle tops attached to the ends for an anti-pollution statement.
- Shimmer and shine show off the sparkle - At the Kate Spade show it was faint washes of rose gold highlighter dusted on upper cheekbones, but at Christian Siriano , models including Ashley Graham sported a full face of Swarovski crystal freckles.
- Hair embellishments bring the party to the front and the back - The sparkles were in models’ strands as well as on their faces. At Christian Siriano, they wore low ponytails with silver chain-mail extensions woven in and at Area, the crystal mesh headpieces were scene stealers.
- Sleek hair is hair to stay - Slicked back hair is nothing new on runways, but the glossy, side-parted updos at Tom Ford and Ralph Lauren still feel fresh.
- Makeup looks inspired by paintings - At the Eckhaus Latta show, makeup artists used an airbrush tool to create a mask-like look in shades of green and tangerine, which was cool on the runway, but in real life? Probably not so much.
- Nail art that’s all over the place and never boring - At designer Jeremy Scott’s show, models dark painted nails spell out “New York” in white polish and at Adeam, the talons on the runway were covered with pearls.