Wondering what everyone will be wearing this year? Trend forecasters say something they’re calling Rom-Com Core will be big in 2023 and it takes inspo from your favorite romantic comedies of the 90s and early 2000s. Think those miniskirts from “Mean Girls” and the slip dresses in “13 Going On 30.”
Marta Topran, the fashion and beauty creator lead at Pinterest, explains, “Rom-Coms in general offer a sense of optimistic escapism and I think we’re all craving that right now. Research also backs her up, as she notes that in the latest Pinterest Predicts report, searches for “2000s girl” are up 235%.
Searches for these Rom-Com Core-related looks are also on the rise:
- “Cool girl aesthetic outfits” up 140%
- “Pink mini skirt outfit” up 145%
- “Rhinestone dress” up 90%
- “Summer outfits vintage ’90s” up 150%
So how do you take the fashions worn by the leading ladies of the era and bring them to real life? Fashion stylist Chelsea Volpe suggests looking at these classic rom-coms for inspiration:
- “How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days” - Kate Hudson’s look in this 2003 film was “preppy, understated Upper East Side,” with button-up cardigans and a crisp, clean white button-down shirt. Volpe adds that the movie’s most covetable look is that “slinky yellow number,” the tailored dress Hudson’s character wears at the end.
- “Mean Girls” - In this 2004 movie, Rachel McAdams, Lacey Chabert, Amanda Seyfried and Lindsay Lohan sported fuzzy pink sweaters, boot-leg low-rise jeans and barely there pleated miniskirts. Volpe says recreating The Plastics’ talent show costume with a velvet slip dress would be, “So modern, so sexy, so fetch.”
- “Maid in Manhattan” - You don’t have to wear white on white like J.Lo’s character in this film, this fashion expert suggests “a neutral palette for monochromatic looks” to update the look for 2023.
Source: Huff Post